The green algae, chlorella, may help attenuate the drop in immune function antibodies associated with over-strenuous exercise.
Subscribe to Dr. Greger’s free nutrition newsletter at http://www.nutritionfacts.org/subscribe and get a free excerpt from his latest NYT Bestseller HOW NOT TO DIE. (All proceeds Dr. Greger receives from the sales of his books, DVDs, and speaking engagements go to support the 501c3 nonprofit that runs NutritionFacts.org.)
There is, however, a caveat to the use of chlorella. See my last chlorella video Treating Hepatitis C with Chlorella (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/treating-hepatitis-c-with-chlorella/) to make up your own mind if the benefits outweigh the risks.
Here’s the nutritional yeast study I mentioned: Preserving Immune Function in Athletes With Nutritional Yeast (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/preserving-immune-function-in-athletes-with-nutritional-yeast/)
Here’s some other ways to decrease your risk of upper respiratory tract infections:
• Can Gargling Prevent The Common Cold? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/can-gargling-prevent-the-common-cold/)
• Preventing the Common Cold with Probiotics? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/preventing-the-common-cold-with-probiotics/)
• Kiwifruit for the Common Cold (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/kiwifruit-for-the-common-cold)
The cuddliest way to protect your immune function, though, may be found in this video: Are Cats or Dogs More Protective For Children’s Health? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/are-cats-or-dogs-more-protective-for-childrens-health/)
What else can exercise do? See videos like Longer Life Within Walking Distance (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/longer-life-within-walking-distance/) and Exercise vs. Drugs for Depression (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/exercise-vs-drugs-for-depression).
More on how to reap the wondrous benefits of exercise in:
• Standing Up for Your Health (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/standing-up-for-your-health/)
• Enhanced Athletic Recovery Without Undermining Adaptation (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/enhanced-athletic-recovery-without-undermining-adaptation/)
• Paleo Diets May Negate Benefits of Exercise (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/Paleo-Diets-May-Negate-Benefits-of-Exercise)
Have a question for Dr. Greger about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/preserving-athlete-immunity-with-chlorella-2 and he’ll try to answer it!
• Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Podcast: http://nutritionfacts.org/audio/
• Subscribe: http://http://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe/
• Donate: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/donate
Source: Preserving Athlete Immunity with Chlorella